Taste Of The Caribbean & Jerk Festival
P.O. Box 1604
Hartford, CT 06144-1604
Phone: (860) 306-1693
Join Us As A Sponsor of the Taste Of The Caribbean & Jerk Festival
2014 Taste of the Caribbean and Jerk Festival
CUISINE CULTURE MUSIC TRAVEL TRADITIONS
In 2006, a group of dedicated Caribbean leaders and The Caribbean American
Young Adults Social and Civic Organization (CAYASCO), partnered
with the Riverfront Recapture organization to create the 1st Annual Taste
of the Caribbean & Jerk Festival. Their vision was to enhance the City
of Hartford’s revitalization efforts during the West Indian Week
Celebration in August.
Today The Festival is a showcase of Caribbean foods, culture, music, travel destinations, merchandise & health information, representing the English, Spanish and French speaking Caribbean countries. The vibrant Caribbean population of the The Greater Hartford area proudly presents their scrumptious culinary delights, their broad range of musical styles, such as Reggae, Soca, Salsa, Jazz, Calypso, Steel Band and Gospel, all set on the back drop of Hartford's most pristine outdoor Riverfront Venue.
For the inaugural event, an estimated 7,000 people of various economic backgrounds, nationalities and races experienced the Caribbean through the many sights and sounds of this festival. According to Mr. Charles Myers of the Riverfront Recapture, crowds have since grown to an estimated 20,000 people in just a few years.
We recently added a Mini Carnival through a grant from the Greater Hartford Arts Council and A Children’s Village with free face painting, bounce stations and macaroni jewelry making courtesy of Price Choppers.
Taste of the Caribbean & Jerk Festival, is now one of The Riverfront Plaza Signature events which is enjoyed by our diverse Greater Hartford population annually. We expect that this event will soon become a two day festival incorporating entertainment & activities based on the water and so much more.
Join us as a Sponsor and let’s continue revitalizing the City of Hartford.
The Taste of the Caribbean is a great venue to reach over 25,000 people from the Metro Hartford area and surrounding communities. We are actively seeking food and merchandise vendors that represent Metro Hartford’s Caribbean (West Indian) communities. These include: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (France), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States Virgin Islands, and Venezuela.
In addition to our food vendors, the festival includes the following attractions:
- Live Entertainment - Dance into the night with live Caribbean rhythms from local, national and international musical artists.
- Children Village - Festivities include a Children's Village and Talent Competition, as well as bounce stations, face painting, jewelry-making and much more.
- Caribbean Travel Village - Plan your next Caribbean getaway with island travel experts. Learn how you can enjoy the beautiful world class destinations and pristine azure beaches that the Caribbean has to offer.
- Healthy Body Pavilion - Learn how you can get island fit and bikini ready with experts in our Healthy Body Pavilion. Consult with health care professionals and nutritionists from Hartford’s Community Health Services on healthy diets for a healthy body.
- Allows local vendors, restaurant owner operators to promote their business establishments to an influential audience who are interested in Caribbean food, culture, thereby stimulating economic development for local vendors.
- By pulling people together, the event promotes the cultural diversity and revitalization of the Hartford Business District.
- The event fosters the idea of community pride, and the image of an economically vibrant city.
- Provides recreation/socialization, culture/education and general tourism development for the City of Hartford.
How To Contact Us:
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: Leslie Perry
- PRESIDENT: Melinda Debeatham
- MARKETING: Grantley Adams